A degree in nursing offers the pass-out with a range of professional and technical skills. These include the ability to work as part of a multidisciplinary team in a post-basic nursing college. It enables the staff to support and advise patients and their families. At the same time, these people also develop the ability to assess, analyze, monitor, and evaluate the care that he or she delivers.
Post qualification, nurses get employment in teams of underqualified doctors and supervisors in different government and corporate hospitals, medical facilities, clinics, etc. Other areas of employment include:
- Old Age Homes.
- Industry hospitals – located in one of their core areas.
- State Nursing Council.
- Military Hospitals.
- Indian Red Cross Society.
- Educational and Research Institutes.
- Government Agencies.
- Non-government organizations.
The post-basic nursing colleges in India focus only on cardio-thoracic nursing. Institutes, including Jubilee Mission College in Bangalore, pride their knowledgeable faculties. These people guide their students on how to handle the pressures and challenges in their professional lives.
Training from the post-basic nursing colleges will make you eligible to play various roles in state-owned and corporate hospitals.
Some of the most practiced roles include:
Adult nurses take care of patients suffering from different kinds of health conditions. These may range from minor injuries to acute and long-term illnesses and ailments. Adult nurses follow the guidelines provided by the doctors in supporting the recovery processes of the ailing. They also can carry out care procedures and assessments. The treating doctors expect these people to evaluate the needs of patients and focus on those. Such evaluations facilitate the treatment process.
The post-basic nursing colleges teach their students to work within multidisciplinary teams. They receive adequate training to act as the principal contact point with the patients’ families. Their role is more critical in chronic illnesses. Patients have to pay repeated visits to the clinic to continue their treatment for long-term diseases.
Adult nurses can:
- Write patient care plans.
- Check and administer drugs and injections.
- Carry out routine investigations for in-patients.
- Respond fast to emergencies.
- Plan and organize priorities over general.
- Educate patients about their health.
- Maintain patient records
- Plan the patient’s discharge from the hospital.
The physician associates are nursing staff working under the direct supervision of a doctor. They need to carry out several tasks to assist the doctor in his or her treatment. Their responsibilities include examining the patient, primary diagnosis, management, and care of the ailing. Your employer will supervise you throughout your career. A clinical supervisor or a General Practitioner will manage your job.
The role is a new one that grows and develops at a much faster rate. Your responsibility will include:
- Carry out a physical examination of the patient.
- You will get training to analyze the diagnostic reports. They will ask you to make diagnoses and clinical assessments.
- Organize further investigations if needed.
- The physician helps evaluate the effectiveness of care management plans offered by the doctor.
- You have the power to refer the patient to another clinical specialist in appropriate cases.
- Your supervising doctor may send you to a patient’s home if the person cannot attend the clinic for the severity of their condition.
- Advise patients and counsel them regarding health promotion and disease prevention.
- The person needs to maintain accurate clinical records.
- The physician helps need to perform administrative duties involving paperwork, including writing reports, letters, and other correspondences.
As a counselor, you will be listening to clients and book their appointment with the physician they need, or you think fit. You will have to stay empathetic to the patient of their parties while talking with them over the counter and discussing their particular issues and problems. It will help you reduce their confusion and increase their ability to cope with challenges.
A counselor communicates effectively with the patient parties and other agencies like the community mental health team. His or her organization may need their help to resolve the patient in recovering from the ailment.